Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Q&A: Shakira says new CD looks out for single gals


FILE - In this Oct. 19, 2009 file photo, singer Shakira poses ...All the single ladies — Shakira is looking out for you!
The Colombian-born singer says the songs on her new album "She Wolf," out this week, is a reflection of a woman who is looking for her prince charming.
"It's very much a common thing for women my age, at least my friends, to be in search for the right man and to be somehow dreaming of the prince who's going to come in and rescue them," the 32-year-old said. "Some of these songs either reveal my own daydreams or fantasies, but some of them have to do with my girlfriends' experiences and things that they go through."
The Grammy-winner says songs like the Brazilian-influenced "Did It Again" and "Men In This Town" will connect women in search of "the one."
However, Shakira doesn't have to deal with that issue. The singer has been in a relationship with Antonio de La Rua, the son of former Argentinian President Fernando de la Rua, for almost a decade.
In a recent interview, the international star talked about her new CD, relationships and why she still passionate about her career.
___
The Associated Press: What is the album about lyrically?
Shakira: I think this album in general has been written from a very feminine perspective. Maybe because today I feel more like a woman and I feel the struggle of being of woman, and its advantages too, in my own flesh. I have a better understanding of women's plight, you know. I guess I understand my mom better today than 10 years ago. ...( It's about) the old urban tale, you know, trying to find the right man ... the old urban tale of men not being available, all the good ones are taken.
AP: But you are set though, right?
Shakira: Yeah (laughs). I'm all set. But unfortunately not everyone out there is and it's tough to date, to be out there and so I kind of wanted to portray that other side of women's reality and "Did It Again" is about making recurrently the same mistake which is something us women tend to do because of our emotional nature, that emotional, romantic and dreamy nature.
AP: The CD features a number of party-sounding jams. Did you club-hop to get inspired?
Shakira: Not really. I live in the Bahamas, I only go out sometimes when I'm with my band on the road. We tend to go to clubs, but it's not something I do very often. I live a very simple life.
AP: You and Wyclef have another duet on this CD. Was there any pressure to create something as huge as "Hips Don't Lie"?
Shakira: I knew that it would be difficult to do a song at least of the same genre as "Hips Don't Lie" and make it big as that one. I think when you're in front of a song the size of what "Hips Don't Lie" meant to both of us, it's really hard. The parameters are so high and there's no way to fulfill the expectation. ... Instead of trying to repeat the same formula, which No. 1 could be very boring, and two, it would be an impossible task. We weren't thinking about "Hips Don't Lie," we were thinking about having a good time ... I feel like it's a little jewel in the album. I like the sound — it's smooth and sexy at the same time. Also, it's got a little fantasy in it.
AP: You've had many albums — what was the goal specifically with this one?
Shakira: I wanted to make sure the fantasy was very latent and fresh in the songs. I think that sometimes music today can get pretty straight forward, and blunt, and I refuse to let metaphors die. And I refuse to let fantasy in music die. I admire so much people in other decades like David Bowie and Michael Jackson, people who were in touch with their own inner child and also their own fantasies and dreams, and they sort of portrayed that in their songs. And I felt inspired by that and let my imagination fly, and let my songs be the butterfly catchers.
AP: You've been in this game for 13 years. What is most surprising to you when you look back at your career?
Shakira: It's not that I care less, but surprisingly I still care a lot about my career. I should care less because I've been doing this for a few years but I'm surprised about how I still care so much. This album feels to me like it's my first album, you know. There's no difference about the way I felt when I was 13 and the way I feel now. ... I feel like the owner of my own life.

No comments:

Search This Blog